Sunday, February 22, 2009

Reading

Somehow, ( I still haven't figured out how) I managed to do some reading outside of my class readings. I had picked up The Amateur Gourmet and the gentle insistence of my mother (She has also bought me a few cookbooks and foisted as much of her old cookware on me as I can possibly handle).


Recently I have decided that I am going to eat healthier and just better in general (aka I will not have Top Ramen as a meal, just as a snack). Not only because I really need to get in shape for ultimate season, but also, all kidding aside, that I really do want to be eating better quality foods and meals. 

I already love baking. If you follow me on Twitter you know that I am making some kind of pie, cake or bread just about every other day. You follow the recipe, put in the time and effort, and watch it carefully; easy. Cooking on the other hand sometimes is a bit beyond me. There's fire and timing and planning and all this other stuff involved that I don't fully understand. There is also not an easy set of directions to follow to make a good meal. So I am slowly working on this skill. 

This book just gave me some helpful pointers. And made me realize that I don't have to be the amazing chef that my mother is right off the bat. I was banned from doing specific duties in the kitchen as a child after literally burning water, so I have a lot to learn. 

But I am kind of looking forward to the failures. 

No comments: