Friday, December 19, 2008

Hernia Update

Directly after finals on Tuesday, I flew back home to have hernia surgery. Technically this is my 4th hernia, apparently I am "hernia prone," but that's beside the point. I had a herniorrhaphy, if you want to get technical, with an open, tension-free repair method as opposed to the previous surgery, a laparoscopic procedure, which probably necessitated me having the second surgery. 

This time I had a ventral hernia, which needed to have a synthetic mesh put in, so that I can get back to things like laundry, groceries, looking over my shoulders while driving, etc. More importantly though, get back to being able to participate in theater and playing ultimate. I miss ultimate the most.

This was after the first hernia surgery, small, very little pain. I even put a smiley face on it.

This is what it looks like today, larger incision, more painful, less chance of recurrence :)
Yesterday I slept most of the day, today I am a little more active and in less pain. Whoo hoo! I can't do much for 4 weeks, but by February, I can start to practice again. 

I have already finished Ender's Game (great book) and am starting on the Twilight Series, thanks to Bambi. And getting ready for Christmas... more updates to come.

1 comment:

808 said...

Remember to throw.