Sunday, October 11, 2009

Wandering through Markets...

I had my first weekend here in London to just explore, so what did I do? Did I decide to go and explore the myriad of world-class museums in London that are free because I am a student? Did I go and see some shows? Did I go and see the famous historic sites? No. I did what any responsible, normal, intelligent young woman would do. I went shopping. (I can just picture the grin on my father's face reading this.)

I decided to do an exploration of Spitalfields Market, and indirectly explored Brick Lane, and more indirectly explored Oxford Street. But we will get there. 

I have no classes on Fridays. This gave me a great opportunity to see some of the city when it was not so congested with tourists. (Alternately, this gave me a great opportunity to get some homework done, but I did not choose that option. Obviously.) I chose to go to Oxford Street. Here there are lots of department stores. Lots. I wandered in and out of them, just looking around (OK, I tried some things on. But figuring out US vs. UK vs. European sizes got the best of me). 

I got there around 11 and suddenly realized it was 4 and I was starving. STARVING. And I had to pee. (I honestly think that I realized I was hungry when I caught myself doing the pee-pee dance in a shoe store.) I found a Pret A Manger (chain sandwich place that Robin and I have frequented before) and sat myself down, at which point I realized how tired I was. 

I also realized that after 5 hours of wandering these department stores I had bought almost nothing. (I SHOULD have bought an umbrella, but alas, did not.) And frankly, despite being urged to "try new styles" I still can't justify looking like everyone did the year I was born. The oversized, undersized, oddly proportioned style is so 80's. (Also, why are Keds, cut-off jean shorts, lace tights, berets, and shoulder pads all in style again? They were not cool the first time around!) It's weird, and not all that flattering. I like sparkly things and bright colors, as evidenced by the way I dress on the ultimate field, but no. Just no. 

So I headed home, got caught for about 2 minutes in absolute dumping rain before making it to my apartment. Warmed up. Was going to go to a Cabaret night put on by the Queen Mary Theatre Company, but fell asleep. Sadness.

The next day I got up, went to the grocery store, forgot to buy plates but remembered the yogurt, odd (the plates are a problem, like I said before, we have no plates). And then headed to Spitalfields Market. I know the guide said that it wasn't happenin' on a Saturday, but I went anyway. 

I did have an alternate agenda of getting my 16-25 Railcard so that I can get cheaper tickets when I use the train. I had to go to the office though because I am not a UK citizen (grumble grumble, logistics). After the short walk from the station to the market area, I saw what looked like a huge glass warehouse on top of some trendy granite shops. There were obviously places for lots of stalls to be, but none of them were filled. It was quiet with the small, lulling buzz of regulars going about their day, having a lazy coffee with friends. 

As I went further into the expansive open-air market, into the newer part, I realized that there was some sort of festival going on. It turned out to be photomonth. There were about one hundred stalls set up with different featured photographers, selling prints, talking about camera techniques, swapping stories. I couldn't help but think that my friend Zack would have loved it, being an aspiring photographer himself, but he is alas across the channel in Paris. I had a lot of fun wandering from stall to stall. 

Then I left Spitalfields, as it was not very happening, and wandered towards Brick Lane. I happened upon an outdoor eating area, and by happened upon I mean lead there by the amazing scents coming from the alley entrance. Despite looking very sketchy, the food was fantastic. I sampled several curries, some chinese, and some ethiopian food before getting a houmous and roasted vegetable sandwich. (Yes, it is houmous and not humus) I was entirely satisfied and really wished that they sold their houmous and tzatziki sauce. Mmmm... food explorations. 

This area of East London, but especially Brick Lane, is known for it's vintage clothing, hipsters, and coffee shops (I also belatedly realize that it is know for its Bengali culture, so I will have to go back and explore more). It also has a lot of street vendors selling the most random crap ever, but not so much on this Saturday afternoon. I liked that it wasn't crowded at all. Sometimes the mass of humanity all swarming one place really upsets me. I had time to leisurely peruse all that Brick Lane had to offer. 

As I went into the shops, seeing all the old dresses, funky hats, well-loved shoes, and smelling that inexplicable smell of vintage (what is that smell? seriously.) I couldn't help but be reminded of 'The Loft.' It was where we stored all the costumes in high school. I spent more hours up there than I can possibly calculate, and it suddenly made me miss theatre and Niv more than I have in a long time. I did find some cool stuff in there. Also watching women fight over shoes that are umpteen years old and battered to all hell is very entertaining. 

I had fun wandering around by myself. I wandered into a Creperie, had a Nutella crepe, and overheard another American girl say, "British style is gross. You either look like you're in the 80's or like you're a Republican." I almost laughed out loud. I did snort a bit and choke on my crepe though. 

Then I went home, made some dinner and was invited to go downstairs and watch The Fellowship of the Ring with some friends. (I was hugely proud, and alternately slightly disgusted, with how much of the extended edition I can still quote. All of it.) It was a good day just to see the city and then relax with friends. 

Sunday, however, despite being very similar to Saturday, was not relaxing. I went back to Spitalfields and Brick Lane with my flat mate Amber, and our friends Ashley and Leah. So while Spitalfields Market is not a happenin' place on Saturday, on Sunday it most definitely is. There were shops and stalls selling almost every thing imaginable. (I didn't see any live animals for sale, but that doesn't mean anything.) 

We wandered, looked a lot and bought very little. Went to the same outdoor food market, enjoyed the few minutes of sunshine while enjoying some fantastic street food. There were far more stalls and many more things to sample. I ended up getting some wrap with chicken, cucumber chutney, apples, and "death spice" which was absolutely delicious and a sugar and cinnamon crepe. Yum!


We continued to wander into more market areas, and down Brick Lane. Brick Lane was sidewalk to sidewalk people. The entire street (which is supposed to be driveable, lies) was filled because many nefarious-looking people that had set up mini yard-sales on the sidewalk. I have never (and let me repeat, NEVER) seen such an odd/awkward assortment of crap ever displayed anywhere in my entire life. It was awesome. 

I was enjoying the people watching, but the other girls decided they wanted to go to H&M. So back to Oxford Street we went, which was packed with people. Like sardines. We made it to the store. Made it out quite awhile later and went back to QM.

Or rather tried. With the Olympics coming in 2012, London Underground is getting overhauled. So on weekends random closures happen all the time. We had to detour. On the last train, which we barely caught, I had to sit next to the smelliest man I have ever encountered. I say had to sit because everyone else in the car was pushed as far away from him as possible, so there was no more standing room. I have smelled some smelly people, the crowded, sweaty (people sweating on me) bus rides in Ecuador, the unwashed Eastern European club go-ers, and NO ONE has ever smelled that bad. It was like someone had shat diarrhea directly into my nasal cavity. I honestly think that the man was dead. I couldn't tell if he was breathing. He didn't twitch or make a noise. But I also couldn't make myself get any closer, and I was already FAR too close. I have never been so glad to get off a train. 

All in all it was a great weekend. Can't wait to go to York next weekend!

So... I have actually been putting out posts in a rather timely fashion. I am very surprised and proud of myself. (I don't know if this is a reflection of me not having really gotten into classes or having done any major traveling yet, or if my resolution to finally stop procrastinating is finally kicking in.) This being the case, the current title of the blog (I have, of course, been meaning to change it for awhile) is not really appropriate.  

Any ideas for a new one? Like it as is? Let me know what you think. 

Or just comment. I like comments. :)

1 comment:

Mark D. said...

Oh Katie, how I would have loved to seen the look on your face as you sat next to that guy on the Underground. Hysterical. Be safe!