Saturday, December 5, 2009

Family Visit: Thanksgiving!

Picking it back up at THANKSGIVING!

It was FRIDAY. I was headed to the apartment in Wapping to meet the family and the friends and Robin. I was supposed to get there before Robin did, but due to Friday traffic I was stuck on the bus. I still maintain that I could have walked much faster than the bus went. But Robin made it there safe and sound all by herself.


A collaborative cooking effort had taken place in my absence to make a Thanksgiving feast, and to unclog the sink. We had turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes (thanks to Matt) and cranberry sauce (thanks to Mom). It was so nice to have a home cooked meal that tasted like home. I am getting rather tired of the British fare. And the company couldn't be beat. Matt read us a very interesting poem/story/thing that they usually use to confuse French people as to what Thanksgiving really is. Oh Matt...


After lots of laughing, some improvised pumpkin pie, ice cream, and tea, we sat down to watch some more tennis (it was awesome). Hugh fell asleep and people started wandering off to bed, so Robin and I went home. There wasn't quite enough space for all 11 of us to sleep in the apartment, so we had a sleepover at my place. Before leaving we said bye to Matt, Christine, and Alexi. They had an early plane to catch the next morning.


The night was very entertaining. And good. And now I have a lot of leftovers. Still.

SATURDAY. Portobello Road. If you come to London on a Saturday this is something that you just have to do. Have to. I mean there is a whole song from Bedknobs and Broomsticks about it! Obviously there is slightly less dancing, and it isn't during WWII, but you get the idea.

Robin and I got there first. It is much more difficult to get 2 people out the door than 6 people. We waded through the sea of people to look at the stalls. Thanks to modern technology and international cell phone plans we managed to meet up with the group, except for Andrea and Abigail who were examining everything more closely and actually buying things.

Robin and I were more interested in looking. And the food. When we finally met up with Mom, Jim, Hugh, and Zach we were all hungry. But we stopped and got some pickled garlic, feta stuffed peppers, and lots of olives. Robin got a chorizo sandwich. Then we went into the strangest pub atmosphere ever. It looked like a traditional Irish Pub. It was called Shannon's. But instead of pub food they had thai food. And they were playing 90's Pop music. I guess I got my fix of Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls.


Then we went back out into the road and kept wandering around. Splitting up of course, it's too hard to stay together in such a crowded place. But my Mom called about 10 minutes later saying she found the Kingston's. They are another family that we have known forever, but they are from the Bay Area. Surprise! (I don't think I have ever travelled anywhere in the world with my parents and not run in to someone they know.) We caught up with them for a bit and then went our separate ways.

We finally met up with Andrea and Abigail, who had definitely done some shopping. We waited in line at the Hummingbird Bakery and finally everyone came together and we got back on the tube and back to the apartment. It was a lot of walking in a chilly day, but it was really fun to see everything.

After a bit of a rest we went to dinner at The Captain Kidd, but instead of eating in the pub downstairs, there was a restaurant upstairs. It was surprisingly good food. I had some guinea fowl, which I had never tried before, and it was absolutely delicious. There was a lot of 'gamey' food there, but Robin order a very yummy pasta dish, and when they gave it to her to go, it looked like this.


Back to the apartment we watched the finals of the tennis, played some boggle and had a very nice relaxed evening. Before Robin and I headed back to the apartment we had to say goodbye to Andrea and Zach, who were catching a plane/train back home to Tahoe/Paris.

SUNDAY we went in separate directions again. I had to see a play for a class in the middle of the day, so after Andrea and Zach left, they went to Greenwich by boat. Robin and I went to Spitalfields and Brick Lane. It was pouring rain throughout the day, thank goodness for umbrellas and layers. This day was far more exploring and very little buying, except food. We got to Brick Lane after having explored Spitalfields and decided that we were hungry. We had some good street food, Robin got Chinese and I tried some Moroccan. Then back to my apartment to get our stuff and Robin and I caught the tube, she to the bus station to get back to Canterbury and me to the National Theatre to see Mother Courage and her Children. (I will be doing a more extensive post about theatre shows I have seen later.)

After the show I caught a cab to Wapping and we had leftovers at the apartment! Spent the night on the couch after falling asleep watching The Green Mile with Hugh. Another good, full day.

MONDAY I had classes again. So I caught the bus to my apartment, went to classes, and packed up a bag of my stuff for them to bring home for me. After class I basically sprinted to my place to get grab, grab my stuff and I hailed a cab to their place (I really didn't feel like bringing my suitcase on the bus). Once I got there, everyone was basically ready to go, amazingly.

So we caught a cab to Victoria and had dinner at Wagamama's. I had been to another one of these restaurants before, but the last time I didn't know it was Rex's favorite restaurant in the whole entire world. I ordered the seafood ramen because she said it was her favorite.

After a very good dinner we walked back through the freezing wind to the Victoria Palace Theatre to go and see Billy Elliott the Musical. It was a fun show, not as good as the movie, but good. The kid playing Billy Elliott was very cute. It's amazing what 12 year olds can do (Abigail definitely included).


After the show we went back to the apartment. I helped pack up all the left over food to bring home. There was a lot. As it was late and getting home would have taken ages, I decided to stay again. This time I got to snuggle with Abigail (who miraculously has learned not kick people in her sleep!) on the bed.


TUESDAY morning it was time for them to leave. We got up early, finished packing and checking and double checking that nothing had been left, and waited for the car to take them to the airport. We said our goodbyes. Lots of hugs before they drove away in the van. I took my bags of leftovers back home on the bus.

I miss them all already! And I think I am about ready to come home. Unfortunately I have a lot of school work between then and now.

And that was the adventure of having my family visit in London.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok, i seriously need to either, a. find a sugar daddy, b. rob a bank, or c. invent some extremely innovative item that the world cannot do without, so that i can come and visit and travel with you! i am so jealous :P LOVE YOU!